Our Mission & Values
Catherine’s Health Center is a 501(c)(3) non-profit Federally Qualified Health Center. We provide access to high quality, affordable and compassionate health care for the West Michigan community.
Over 26 years ago, we began as a volunteer-run clinic in the Creston neighborhood of Grand Rapids. Since then, we have expanded to provide medical, dental, and behavioral health care at four locations around the Grand Rapids area. While a lot has changed throughout the years, our commitment to exceptional health care for all has never wavered.
Catherine’s Health Center provides access to high quality, affordable, and compassionate health care.
- Recognizing basic health care as a right of each person regardless of their ability to pay
- Improving health equity by removing barriers that lead to health disparities
- Promoting the common good by advancing a healthy community in collaboration with partners and other health care providers
- Building relationships based on integrity and honesty
- Providing preventive health care as a primary service to reduce illness and medical crisis
- Providing community outreach through Catherine’s Health Center visibility, patient advocacy, health education, and clinical services
- Offering services and education that contribute to helping our patients stay healthy, improve their health, and manage chronic conditions
- Acting in a professional manner with a commitment to excellence
- Encouraging individuals to take responsibility for their health
- Enabling patients to make informed decisions about their treatment which respect their personal values
- Approaching health care holistically involving body, mind and spirit
- Treat patients, employees and all others in a welcoming manner with respect and compassion
- Maintaining and enhancing the professional skills of our staff and volunteers
- Managing the organization for effective and efficient use of human and financial resources
- Commit to developing business plans that support long-term sustainability
Prompted by concerns over healthcare access, Creston neighborhood organizers discussed the establishment of a health clinic.
St. Mary’s Hospital, St. Alphonsus Parish, and the Creston Neighborhood Association established Catherine’s Care Center. For the first few years, Catherine’s was a volunteer-run clinic in the basement of St. Alphonsus Parish. We offered immunizations, health education, and free screenings for children.
Catherine’s offered our first regularly scheduled physician appointments for free medical services.
Catherine’s Obtained 501(C)(3) nonprofit status.
The Opening Doors campaign began to raise the funds needed to move out of the parish basement. This was also the time we changed our name to “Catherine’s Health Center” to clarify the identity the clarity and focus of the clinic.
After much hard work, dedication, and generous support from donors and volunteers, the Opening Doors Campaign exceeded its goal. Catherine’s relocated from its original basement to a LEED® Gold certified, renovated section of the former St. Alphonsus School.
In light of the Affordable Care Act and Michigan’s Medicaid Expansion, Catherine’s began offering Health Insurance Navigation services in order to enroll qualifying patients and community members in affordable health coverage.
Catherine’s integrated Behavioral Health services into our care team in order to provide holistic care that treats the whole person.
Catherine’s earned designation as a Federally Qualified Health Center Look Alike.
As part of a grant from the AstraZeneca HealthCare Foundation, Catherine’s began mentoring other organizations nation-wide on how to start and operate a community-based heart health program.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Catherine’s launched telemedicine and on-site COVID-19 testing. Catherine’s earned designation as a Federally Qualified Health Center.
On the day of Catherine’s 25th anniversary, Catherine’s Health Center opened two new clinics in the Grand Rapids area: Catherine’s Health Center at Streams of Hope and Catherine’s Health Center Dental. Our new dental center marked the beginning of dental care at Catherine’s, allowing us to expand access to dental services for our patients.