Our Mission & Values
Catherine’s Health Center is a 501(c)(3) non-profit Federally Qualified Health Center. We provide access to high quality, affordable and compassionate health care for the West Michigan community.
Over 27 years ago, we began as a volunteer-run clinic in the Creston neighborhood of Grand Rapids. Since then, we have expanded to provide medical, dental, and behavioral health care at four locations around the Grand Rapids area. While a lot has changed throughout the years, our commitment to exceptional health care for all has never wavered.
Catherine’s Health Center provides access to high quality, affordable, and compassionate health care to ALL.
- Quality healthcare is a human right, and we are charged with providing exceptional patient-centered care to populations who have been systemically disadvantaged.
- Empathy is an understanding of our shared humanity, and humility is the awareness that we can never be competent in someone else’s experiences; compassion is how we act in service to others through empathy and humility. We ask, “What Matters to You?”
- Everybody regardless of age, gender, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, nationality, housing status, disability, faith, education, and race deserves dignified and affirming interactions and care that honor a person’s lived experiences.
- We practice a growth mindset that is solutions and improvement focused. We provide exceptional, patient-centered care and access to the communities we serve. We celebrate wins every day.
- We achieve community through trusting relationships with colleagues, patients, and partners. Building and creating community in every action we take, decision we make, and supporting those around us.
- We are accountable to each other and our communities by investing in our teams, effectively communicating, meeting our goals, and balancing quality with financial sustainability. We assume best intentions.
Prompted by concerns over healthcare access, Creston neighborhood organizers discussed the establishment of a health clinic.
St. Mary’s Hospital, St. Alphonsus Parish, and the Creston Neighborhood Association established Catherine’s Care Center. For the first few years, Catherine’s was a volunteer-run clinic in the basement of St. Alphonsus Parish. We offered immunizations, health education, and free screenings for children.
Catherine’s offered our first regularly scheduled physician appointments for free medical services.
Catherine’s Obtained 501(C)(3) nonprofit status.
The Opening Doors campaign began to raise the funds needed to move out of the parish basement. This was also the time we changed our name to “Catherine’s Health Center” to clarify the identity the clarity and focus of the clinic.
After much hard work, dedication, and generous support from donors and volunteers, the Opening Doors Campaign exceeded its goal. Catherine’s relocated from its original basement to a LEED® Gold certified, renovated section of the former St. Alphonsus School.
In light of the Affordable Care Act and Michigan’s Medicaid Expansion, Catherine’s began offering Health Insurance Navigation services in order to enroll qualifying patients and community members in affordable health coverage.
Catherine’s integrated Behavioral Health services into our care team in order to provide holistic care that treats the whole person.
Catherine’s earned designation as a Federally Qualified Health Center Look Alike.
As part of a grant from the AstraZeneca HealthCare Foundation, Catherine’s began mentoring other organizations nation-wide on how to start and operate a community-based heart health program.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Catherine’s launched telemedicine and on-site COVID-19 testing. Catherine’s earned designation as a Federally Qualified Health Center.
On the day of Catherine’s 25th anniversary, Catherine’s Health Center opened two new clinics in the Grand Rapids area: Catherine’s Health Center at Streams of Hope and Catherine’s Health Center Dental. Our new dental center marked the beginning of dental care at Catherine’s, allowing us to expand access to dental services for our patients.